Date of birth 03.11.1951;
Qualification: Full Professor of Neurology, Department of Neuroscience and Sense Organs, University of Bari
Education and Profession:
July 23 1976: Degree Medicina e Chirurgia, University of Bari,
November 1976: Admitted to the medical profession
July 23, 1980: Specialization in Neurology, University of Bari,
1978: University Assistant in Neurology at the Neurological Clinic of Bari
From March 1981 to May 1992: Hospital Assistant in Neurology in Neurological Clinic, University of Bari
Since May 28, 1992 to June 2001 Research Fellow at the Neurologic al Clinic, University of Bari
2001 to date Associate Professor of Neurology, Department of Neuroscience and Sense Organs, University of Bari
From 2001 to 2020 Associate Prof of Neurology , Department of Neuroscience and Sense Organs, University of Bari
Chief of tertiary center for diagnosis and monitoring of motor neuron diseases Department of Neuroscience and Sense Organs, University of Bari .
Activity for Demyelinating diseases outpatients Department of Neuroscience and Sense Organs, University of Bari .
Prof. Simone focuses her research activities on studies of clinical, epidemiological, genetic aspects of neurodegenerative diseases focusing on the identiﬁcation of biomarkers. From 2004, she is Chief of Tertiary Centre of Motor Neurons Diseases at the Department of Basic Medical Sciences, Neurosciences and Sense Organs (DSMBNOS) at University of Bari
Her scientiﬁc expertise ranges from :
• Study of CSF protein abnormalities in inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system with particular regard to demyelinating disease. Neuroimmunology clinic with particular regard to alterations in immune inflammatory diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system, in systemic autoimmune diseases and infectious diseases of the nervous system.
• Neuroimaging studies with application of nonconventional MRI tecniques (1H-MRSpectroscopy, MR diffusion, measures on brain atrophy, VBM and cortical thickness) in inflammatory, vascular, infective, neurodegenerative diseases and dysontogenetic malformation of CNS.
• Study of serum and CSF biomarkers of neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration in neurodegenerative and inflammatory disease of CNS and PNS.
• Population-based studies to identiﬁcation of epidemiological, genetic and clinical factors in neurodegenerative and demyelinating diseases.
• Partecipation to several international and national trials in neurological diseases
-Scientific responsible of U.O. for PRIN Projects,
-Scientific Responsible for projects of the University of Bari Scientific Responsible of U.O. for research project funded by the Ministry of Health Scientific collaboration with ITALSGEN and EURALS Consortium, with the “Laboratorio di Epidemiologia assistenziale e sistemi informatici” of the “Consorzio Mario Negri Sud”, with the Institute of Neurological Sciences, National Research Council, section of Mangone (Cosenza), and with the Institute of Biomedical Technologies, section of Bari – National Research Council of Italy.
-Professor of Neurology for the Degree Course of Medicina-Chirurgia, University of Bari
-Professor of Emergency in Neurology for the Degree Course of Medicina-Chirurgia, University of Bari
-Professor of Neurology for the Degree Course of Fisioterapia, University of Bari
-Professor of Neurology for the Degree Course of Neurofisiopatologia, University of Bari
-Professor of Neurology for the Degree Course of Infermieristica, University of Bari
-Professor of Neurology for the Degree Course of Lopedisti , University of Bari
-Professor of Neurology for School of Specialisation in Neurologia , Neuropsichiatria Infantile, Medicina Fisica e Riabilitazione, Medicina Interna, Anestesia e Rianimazione, Allergologia and Oftalmologia of University of Bari
Professor of Neurology for several cycles of PhD, University of Bari
Activity in Scientific Societies:
-Member and component of directive board of the Società Italiana di Neurologia
-Member of group of study multiple sclerosis
-Member of International Pediatric multiple sclerosis study group,
-Member of neuroimaging study group
-Member of study group of motoneuron diseases
-Member of ITALSGEN Consortium and EURALS consortium
Editorial board of the journal: Case Report in Neurological Medicine
Reviewer of many journals:
Neurology, JNNP, Epilepsia, J Neurol Sci, J Neurol, Brain, Multiple Sclerosis, Neurobiol Aging, Plos One, Neurol Sci, JAMA Neurol, Lancet Neurology, Frontiers
Reviewer of PRIN projects.
Scientific production: 150 publications in indexed journals (by Scopus), author of many chapters of books.
Scientific board of numerous scientific courses. Participation as speaker in several international and national congress