The World Duchenne Awareness Day 2023 theme is ‘Duchenne: Breaking Barriers’. World Duchenne Awareness Day (WDAD) is an annual event held on September 7. With this, WDAD supports creating a society that provides equal opportunities for all. This year they organize the 10th edition.
People living with Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophy (DMD/BMD) face physical, healthcare and social barriers. This severely limits their ability to participate fully in community life and activities.
On September 7th, we call on you to take on responsibility and help break down barriers for people living with DMD/BMD.
On this day, we will launch a WDAD Documentary showing the lives of people living with DMD/BMD across the globe and how they are each breaking barriers in their personal lives.
Some examples of topics aimed at breaking down barriers in DMD include:
- Access to care: Ensuring that individuals with DMD/BMD have access to comprehensive and affordable medical care to manage their condition and improve their quality of life.
- Accessibility: Ensuring that public spaces, such as schools, workplaces, and community centers, are accessible for people with DMD/BMD.
- Advocacy: Raising awareness about the challenges faced by individuals with DMD/BMD and advocating for policies and programs that promote social inclusion and equal opportunities for people with disabilities.
- Community engagement: Encouraging individuals with DMD/BMD to participate in community activities and providing resources and support to help them do so.
- Employment opportunities: Creating job opportunities for people with DMD/BMD and providing support for them to find and maintain employment.
- Inclusive education: Providing opportunities for people with DMD/BMD to attend mainstream schools and participate fully in the educational experience.